Niknon Photography Discussion  

Go Back   Niknon Photography Discussion > Equipment Talk > Lenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules

Old 09-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
lordkifar
Where is the film?

Default Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro (80-200mm F2.8)

So yesterday I sold my Sigma 70-300mm F-4-5.6 and today I picked up a Tokina 80-200mm F2.8 AF second hand. It is in flawless condition I had been looking for this lens for quite a while but here in Canada, Tokina is not easily found as they don't have a reseller....This one in particular I had a hard time finding on ebay or amazon.com....anyways

Here is my mini-review without pics for now.

First impressions, it's heavy!!!! It ways a whopping 3 pounds...combined with my D80, battery grip, double batteries (and my SB-800 if I am indoors at an event), HEAVY....but I like it. My wrist and arms will be getting their due exercise. The lens requires 77mm filters so that is a bit of a bummer.

It is Tokina built meaning this thing is built like a tank. You can feel the built quality holding it in your hand. The hood is a screw in hood but it screws onto the front of the lens or on to the thread of a filter. Even the hood is built to withstand a truck running over it. Specs indicate that Tokina used SD glass to eliminate chromatic aberrations. The housing is made of metal fitted lens barrels that have been hard coated to withstand abuse. Tokinas Focus Clutch Mechanism is used for AF/MF switching. Similar to other Tokina lenses such as the 12-24, 11-16mm, etc... The clutch mechanism does have a flaw (not in my lens only but the whole production). I can only be switched from AF to MF or vice versa if the manual focus ring is in the right position (F1.8)....otherwise, it will not let you change it. My Tokina 12-24mm is not like this at all.

The lens is housed within the exterior barrel and hence does not move in traveling from 80-200mm....nonetheless, it doesn't seem to show any zoom creep (looking in on the inside through the exterior optics).

Performance based on quick test shots shows that F2.8-3.5 is a bit soft, F5.6 and beyond is very nice and sharp. Contrast is amazing on this lens. AF is at an acceptable speed. I know some users who have complained that it is slow...I personally think it is acceptable!! Not as noisy as I thought; however not really silent on focusing.

I will be going up North (country side) this weekend and hope I can have sometime to escape from the in-laws and take some sample pics. They will likely be hand held as the tripod I currently have sucks and couldn't hold a block of cheese if I wanted it to...I will start saving up for a Manfrotto
lordkifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Mammoth

How much was it?
Speedlite 380EX
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
chimphappyhour
:p

Congrats! Sounds like an excellent find. I'm glad Tokina has changed the clutch mechanism, that doesn't sound like a fun way to operate.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
lordkifar
Where is the film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
How much was it?
I picked it up for 550CAD (purchased locally) which is not a bad deal but not a fantastic deal....Typically though, when I found it it was 700 bucks so perhaps it was a decent price after all.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
lordkifar
Where is the film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimphappyhour View Post
Congrats! Sounds like an excellent find. I'm glad Tokina has changed the clutch mechanism, that doesn't sound like a fun way to operate.
Yeah definitely, it is pretty stupid how the older design was but yeah much better on the newer lenses. I tried to change from AF to MF when I first held and I looked at the guy and told him it is broken then he pointed out to me how it's done. Other people on the web said the same. Bah I use manual focus 30% of the time so it's ok.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Freddy Flash

Congrats on the purchase! I hope you have some fun with it
Freddy Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
lordkifar
Where is the film?

Here are some sample pics. I started a pic thread in the post ur pics section of the forum. All the shots were handheld for 2 reasons:

1) Because I wanted to se if I could live without a VR lens that is this heavy
2) I forgot to bring the quick lock plate for my tripod so I could not use it

http://niknon.com/showthread.php?t=601

I think I need to get a circular polarizer for when I am shooting landscape (my blue skys are blown out white but damn those things are expensive....